Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The Mommy Monster, Mexican food, and special PJs

Our holidays have been wonderful, and I hope that yours were, as well. I am still nauseated 24/7, and tired, but it was much worse in the previous pregnancy, so I'm trying to keep that in mind.

For about three weeks, Elena was waking every hour and screaming non-stop until she stopped from sheer exhaustion. We took her to the doc and found nothing physical causing it. I think it may have been a combination of several things, including teething and frustration at my diminishing milk supply. Whatever, it was, it was awful! My views on letting babies cry it out have been well-publicized here, but it was tempting. Ultimately, I couldn't get past the fact that God has never let me cry by myself. He is always with me and comforting me with His love. Carlos was amazingly patient and when I was exhausted would take her in to the living room and let her dance to Santana, the only thing that ever seemed to help. :)

The night before my birthday, she only woke once, and then went right back to sleep without crying. Talk about the perfect gift! Unfortunately, Joelito had a nightmare and was up most of the rest of the night. He kept calling for Carlos and asking if he had left for work yet. I didn't think much of it, because all of our kidlets are extremely attached to their dad. In the morning, he still seemed a little frightened by the dream, though.

I had to work, but I celebrated with the little ones by going out to Starbucks. Ariana said it was even better than cake! What can I say? She adores Starbuzz as much as her mami. On the way, Joel kept asking me to make scary faces. He had never requested that before, but I complied with lots of silly faces and the occasional angry face. He shrieked with mingled delight and fear like a kid on a roller-coaster and kept begging for more.

Carlos and I swapped cars as I went to work, and he called me a few minutes later asking if I knew details of Joel's nightmare. He hadn't shared them with me. Pobrecito--he had dreamed that bad guys turned me into a monster with red eyes that tried to eat him. Ay, ay, ay. Poor little guy. He had been afraid of me all morning, watching my eyes and waiting for me to transform!

We straightened things out there--good reminder for me about how blurry the line of reality is for little ones that age! Then, my Beloved and I went out *just us* for Mexican food! Now, lest that seem not-quite-earth-shattering, let me explain. I loooooooove Mexican food. It is a non-negotiable part of my theology that at the marriage supper of the Lamb in heaven, there will be tons of Mexican food served. However, with kidlets who are allergic to corn, beans, rice, pork and possibly cilantro or chiles, going out to a Mexican restaurant as a family just doesn't happen. My kids understand that there are a lot of things that they cannot eat, and usually don't have a problem with others eating things they can't have in front of them. However, telling a three-year-old who adores chips and salsa that he can't have any is just cruel, in my opinion.

Anyway, it has been over a year and a half since Carlos and I had eaten Mexican food at a restaurant. Oh my! I don't have words in either language to express how good it was! I was practically moaning with pleasure at every bite. It was equally delightful having time with just my Beloved and being able to talk and enjoy the meal without a single interruption.

We did a little shopping on the way home, and Carlos bought me the plushest, softest and loveliest set of fleece jammies! They are soooooo comfy. Joel loves them, too. This morning he said, "Mami, just hold me in your arms. It is like a blanky over me, a shield keeping me warm and protected," with a blissful little sigh. My little poet! :D

(I wasn't going to confess this, but since I strive for transparency, I will share a total lazy-mommy-moment. The morning sickness was really bad this morning, and I found out that while we were gone, the stew meat that I had planned for today had gotten left out overnight. We haven't been grocery shopping in over a week, so there was nothing in the house. I loaded up the kids and went through a drive-thru *in my jammies!*. Yes, that is right. I didn't even get dressed. It is cold and drizzling, and nothing feels comfortable right now except my jammies. The guy in the drive through looked at me incredulously and asked if I was wearing a robe. I smiled proudly and said that they were the perfect outfit for this weather. He was just jealous that he didn't have nice jammies on.)

Regardless of the weather, I wish you a warm cozy day with great coffee and chocolate pastries, a good book and a special set of fleecy jammies!

3 comments:

Darla said...

I'm so glad to hear you got a special dinner out for your birthday! I kept meaning to send you message wishing you a happy birthday, but ran out of time! I'm so glad you were able to have one anyway! ha. Love ya!

Maria said...

You made me hungry for Mexican food! LOL! :) Happy Birthday! :)

dulce de leche said...

Thank you so much! It was a wonderful day! :)